Pacific Northwest Narcotics Anonymous History Committee Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Personal Stories - Input From Our Members
 Where We Were Back Then . . . Where Are We Now ?
 Our program, Our history
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

JohnF

USA
4 Posts

Posted - October 26 2008 :  11:08:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Other than trying one more time to get off the dope, curiosity was my prevaling thought when I found NA. Where did all these people come from? Who was running the "Show"? I could relate to the people fresh out of treatment or prison. The people who had a "Court Card" from their parole officer seemed real enough. But who were all these people with YEARS clean? I could never agree with "I earned my seat" The seat I was sittng in was there when I got there. I sure didn't earn it.
After the program and its accompaning miracles started to work in my life, I started to really become involved in the program. Service work was working for me. Life was improving, and I was asked to speak at our Area birthday celebration. An oldtimer/newcomer type of event.
The Oldtimer spoke of how the program was really starting to grow when she was new, and she brought an original transcript of the basic text. That was all it took for my curiosity to get the best of me.
I started to research our program through the NA website, talking with the oldtimers and "surfing the internet". There are a lot of NA history sites out there and I constantly found conflicting information. Even with the oldtimers from my area didn't agree on how meetings got started. I found Bob Stones book on the history of NA, the Ausralia Region's local history book and finaly, the Florida Regions history book. That is where the idea of creating a book on our history in the PNW was born. A couple oldtimers I knew showed me some support and the idea was off and running. I was speaking with a friend in the program and he said he would help if I could fine some other people to get involved. A month or two later we had a committee started, a website up and running and now here we are. Waiting for your input. So we can make this dream a reality. We would like to creat a book on the history of the NA program in the Pacific Northwest. And with the website, who knows what else might be possible. We would like to showcase our past events, merchandise, meeting schedules and whatever else we can to keep our history alive. And we can't do it without you.
So please give us your input, spread the word, and let us know what you want to see and what we should avoid doing. Until next time....

John F
South King County Area
Washington Northern Idaho Region

JohnF

USA
4 Posts

Posted - February 14 2009 :  20:21:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well it has been a while since I wrote anything here. Since that time a lot has happened with our committee. We have been approved by the Washington Northern Idaho Region of Narcotics Anonymous as a Sub-Committee of the WNIRSC Literature Sub-Committee. Thatís a mouthful. We have a Bank account. We are selling T-Shirts. We have been granted space at every Convention we have asked. We have resurrected an old regional newsletter, which we hope will be a fundraiser. A lot of old-timers are interested. Word is getting around. We are not getting much input outside of Washington, but we have started to get some contacts in Oregon and in British Columbia. We still need input from everyone we can get it from. Of course we need the stories of when and how the meetings got started, but we are also very interested in getting the stories of the Menís and Womenís retreats, Campouts, Conventions and all the other events that make us what we are. Get a 5 dollar microphone, plug it into your laptop, and go find an old-timer who knows how something got started. Then email it to us. Thatís how this thing is going to work. Or type it out yourself. Donít worry about grammar; we will fix it right up.

John F
South King County Area
Go to Top of Page

JohnF

USA
4 Posts

Posted - April 13 2009 :  15:59:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So here I am again. The history committee we have put together seems to be coming along nicely. At every event we ask, They let us show up and help spread the word. We were just at Unity Day in Seattle, where the history committee members manned a dislay I put together with some of my personal NA memorablia. It really gives me a sense of purpose when so many people show interest in something that touches my heart. The fact that the NA bears drew more interest than the NA books is somehting I will have to turn over to my higher power. Never heard anyone talk about how a bear helped them stay clean. It has probably happened....The committee is working on deciding what kind of chapters should go into the book. Something like this is what is going through my mind. The Beginings (How NA got started)The Early days (1970's....) The pioneers (Early members who made NA happen in their Area) The Meetings (How the meetings got started in all the different areas)The conventions(How the celebrations started).The Region (PNW Region) The Book (Publication of the Basic Text and it effect on our fellowship) The Breakup (PNW splits into different regions)Growing up (How the fellowship has grown in the last 25 years) The clubs (Recovery Clubs, Alano, etc.)The stories (Things that made NA Happen) The Retreats. And more will be revealed, I'm sure.
Of course, I would have to repeat, that is what "I" am thinking. What is going to happen will be decided by the committee, and of course, with input from the fellowship. The Book can't be written without oldtimers helping. After all. The book will be about oldtimers and the things they did that got NA started. We are starting to get a lot of help from people now. Newcomers (10 years or less) seem real interested. Most oldtimers seem rather skeptical. The oldtimers who are not skeptical seem to help out and show a lot of support. The biggest hurdle right now is collecting stories. And getting scans and photos of old Convention programs, Flyers and Banners. Kind of hard tell the story if you don't know where or when the convention was held. We need help getting those scans. That is something newcomers can help with. The stories have to come from the oldtimers, before we lose them.
So, if you can help... Find an oldtimers (your sponsor?)go to his house and write down his story. Scan his old meeting schedules. Be a part of this thing. If you are an oldtimer, Give a hand. we need you.
If you are a wewcomer, make it a homegroup projet to find out how your homegroup started, and send us the story.
We are trying to make this website a gathering place for information. Our overworked webmaster has his hands full. The website has been growing by leaps and bounds. Soon we hope to have a function where you can upload photos right to the site. That will really be cool.
We will be in Ellensburg next month at the "Back to Basics" Event. I hope to see you there.

John F
South King County Area
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pacific Northwest Narcotics Anonymous History Committee Forum © 2000-08 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.03