New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Lester
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - December 11 2010 :  07:51:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back in the Janurary or Feburary of 1987 at 6 or 7 months clean I was going to Area Service in Portland, Or. and the chairperson announced that we needed more meetings that the fellowship was growing and we just needed more meetings. I then sat back and watched for two months and not one person at area had so much as lifted a finger when it came to starting new meetings. I agreed that we did need more meetings and I saw a particular need for a meeting on Sunday mornings since at that time the earliest meeting we had on Sundays was a detox meeting and I still was not very comfortable in going to detox for a meeting. Also I still recalled how I use to be looking for a wake up on Sunday mornings. At the time I was living within walking distance of the old Pass Club so I went went there one day and talked to the manager and the next thing I new was we had a Sunday morning meeting. I asked my self what I was doing and the answer that I got was that I was learning how to Live. Hince the Learning to Live meeting of NA was born. Our 1st meeting I believe was held on April the 12th 1987 on a Sunday morning at 8 am at the meeting we decided that (am would be a better time. There were only about 4 others in attendence besides my self. Attendance remained low for about two monnths. Each month I would go to Area and ask for support, citing that the Area hadasked for more meetings and now that we had one it was in danger of dying if the area would not support it. then after 2 months one Sunday in June about 20 people from area showed up at the meeting, most did not immediately return but word spread and attendance started picking up after that. By the end of the first year we had a full compliment of group trusted servants. I then left the group, not wanting it to become known as Lester's group ( a painful lesson that I would learn with my first Home group) which is another story. I then returned to L to L as it is often called, about 6 months later and would eventully make it my Home Group. I have since moved to Florida but thanks to the Internet i am still able to keep in touch with some of it's members. L to L has since moved to several different locations and is now located at the Providence Hospital in NE Portland and in this coming April god willing they will be celebrating 24 years of continious Recovery

Lester O

Edited by - Lester on December 11 2010 07:57:56
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pacific Northwest Narcotics Anonymous History Committee Forum © 2000-08 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.03